Supporting Students’ Ability to Reach New Heights
COLSA’s SOAR Fund is designed to assist students with experiential learning expenses by providing stipends for internships and expenses. Stipends may be used to supplement unpaid internships or pay for transportation to interviews and career events. The SOAR Fund is a rolling fund and accepts applications year-round. While all COLSA students are invited to apply, applicants with financial need are strongly encouraged.
Criteria for Applying
- Students must be in good academic standing with the College of Life Sciences and Agriculture and the University.
- Internship Stipend: Students must have secured an internship related to their career goals and provide documentation (e.g., signed offer letter). Please note that all the data provided will be verified.
- Career Travel Stipend: Students must provide documentation of the event for which career-travel stipend is being requested.
- Internships may be full or part-time but must be a minimum of 10 weeks in duration.
- Students who accept stipends agree to provide a reflection of the experience at its completion and agree to be interviewed and featured in COLSA’s Spotlight Series.
- Students may only receive funding from the SOAR Fund one time during their academic career.
- Students will apply by submitting an updated resume and one-page essay delineating how this internship experience impacts their long-term career and professional goals, how the funds will be used in support of their experiential learning, and why this is important to them. They will also include proof of the internship through an offer letter that consists of the number of hours per week, beginning and end date of the internship.
- The SOAR Fund is designed to assist students in getting industry experience and cannot fund on-campus experiences.
Application Due Dates:
Funding for Spring 2020: Applications due by January 24, 2020 for preferred consideration. If additional funding is available, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after 1/24/20.
Funding for Summer 2020: Applications due by May 1, 2020 for preferred consideration. If additional funding is available, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after 5/1/20.
Career Travel Stipend
- Students may apply by submitting a half-page document delineating why they are requesting the funding, where they seek to use it, and a statement of need. Students must be clear about the cost of travel-related expenses and how much they are requesting. Associated documentation must be included.
Applicants with financial need are strongly encouraged to apply. Please include an explanation on how these funds will allow you to pursue an experiential opportunity that otherwise would not be possible or would create an undue financial burden.
All applications will be reviewed, and applicants notified of the status of their application within three weeks of submission.