The Lovell River property was bequeathed as a part of a large land gift to the University in 1939 by Frank S. Lord, a prominent resident of Carroll county. These properties were given so as to benefit the students of Carroll County and to help
fulfill the University’s research and educational goals. This lot is periodically harvested as part of UNH’s sustainable timber harvesting program and a portion of all proceeds from the sale of timber goes towards scholarships for Carroll County students. The most recent commercial harvests on this property were in 2006 and 2013.
The Lovell River property is approximately 490 acres and has extensive frontage on the Lovell River, which makes it an important tool for UNH research. Professors use these properties as outdoor classrooms and our researchers use them for study.
In 2013 the Lovell River experimental forest was established; a replicated harvest design was implemented so the area could be used for future research. During the summer of 2013, our team of technicians measured and catalogued over 1300 crop trees within the harvest area to create a baseline dataset.
Compartment A & B
Take the Spaulding Turnpike north to Center Ossipee, (approx. 48 miles). Take a left at Pine Hill Road. Follow the gravel road until it changes to a newly paved section on a sharp corner adjacent to a white house on the right. Turn left on an old town road. Follow this road to a large red oak on the left side, marked with three red blazes. A stake with "UNH" in a pile of stones is placed at the base of the tree.
APPROXIMATE LOCATION: N 43°46.945', W 71°11.059'
Compartment C & D
Take the Spaulding Turnpike north to Center Ossipee (approx. 48 miles). Turn left directly across from a golf course, just past the lane dividers. Follow the gravel road under the power lines and continue until you reach the landing, located just beyond the abandoned railroad tracks.
APPROXIMATE LOCATION: N 43°46.457', W 71°10.063'