Courses, Grades, and Credits

AP Courses

  • AP credit, though accepted by UNH, is not universally accepted by medical, dental and other health professions programs.
  • If you have AP credit for any of the prerequisite courses (with the exception of ENGL 401), we strongly recommend taking the equivalent course at UNH.
  • If you have placed out of one of the above courses and do not take the equivalent course, an applicant will need to take additional upper level courses in that subject area.
  • If you choose to retake a course at UNH in which you already have AP credit, since you cannot receieve credit for a duplicate course, you will forfeit the AP credit.

Prerequisite sciences courses at other schools

  • It is important to build a strong foundation in the sciences for you to succeed in your intended graduate program. 
  • The first year science sequences are building blocks for the upper level sciences.
  • Completing the foundation courses at the same school that you will complete the upper level course leads to greater success and develop stronger connections with your science faculty. 
  • Note that not all graduate programs accept science prerequisites completed at a community college. Unless there are circumstances that make it necessary for you to take community college courses, you may want to reconsider this.
  • If there are other courses that you are interested in completing at a community college, you should check with your major advisor to be sure they will fulfill University requirements. It is rarely advisable to split a two-semester science course between different schools.

Summer Courses

  • Graduate schools want evidence that a prospective student performs well in a rigorous curriculum.
  • Whether you are in a science or non-science major it is important to demonstrate you perform well while taking at least two lab science prerequisite courses at the same time and as part of a full course load.
  • There may be circumstances that require you to take a prerequisite in the summer such as very structured major requirements or student athletes that are unable to fit in required lab times.  
  • You are encouraged to discuss your situation with the Health Professions office.

Repeating a Course

  • If you receive a C- in a course, you may wish to repeat the course because you did not gain a sufficient foundation in that subject.  
  • C- is commonly the lowest grade a health professions program will accept. (Check the website of the individual schools). 
  • If you received a grade of C or C-, rather than repeating the same course, and assuming an understanding of the materials, consider taking an upper level course in the same area and demonstrate success in and understanding of the more advanced concepts.
  • If you receive a grade lower than a C- you will need to re-take the course.
  • For medical schools applicants, when applying, the repeated course grades are averaged.

UNH Resources