Health & Well Being

Health and Insurance

Study Abroad Health Assessment

As the first step in supporting your well-being abroad, UNH-in-Italy requires that all students admitted to its study abroad program complete a Study Abroad Health Assessment form. Study abroad often involves settings and activities that can be physically and emotionally demanding. Preexisting medical or psychological conditions, even if you think they are under control, are often intensified by living in a different culture. You will likely find that familiar medications, support networks and health services may not be available in your host country. The personal health assessment encourages you to consider these issues and, as necessary, consult with medical or study abroad professionals to prepare to manage your health abroad. It is often possible to arrange special accommodations at our study abroad locations, but you are responsible for recognizing your needs and seeking appropriate assistance in advance.

Health Insurance

UNH provides international travel assistance, emergency services, and insurance to all students, undergraduate, and graduate, traveling abroad on University-related activities, including study abroad. Provided you register your travel using UNH’s International Travel Registry before departure (instructions to be provided), you will be automatically covered by this service and insurance for the dates that you are enrolled as a participant in the UNH-in-Italy Program. You will not be covered for personal travel before the program begins or after the program ends. Therefore, UNH recommends that you maintain your domestic coverage to insure the continuation of coverage and care before the program begins, after it ends, and upon returning to the U.S.  Extensive information is available at the International Travel Assistance & Insurance Program.

Vaccinations and Country-Specific Health Conditions

All students should review the International SOS website (UNH membership # 11BCAS000009) for vaccination and disease prevention information in Italy and any countries you plan to visit while outside the U.S. You should review the general overview of health conditions in the country, plus information on required and recommended vaccinations and disease prevention strategies.

Students with Disabilities

The University of New Hampshire is committed to providing students with documented disabilities equal access to all university programs. While we cannot guarantee full accessibility for all situations, if given enough advance notice, arrangements may be possible for a successful experience. 

If you think you have a disability requiring accommodations, you must register with the Office of Student Accessibility Services (SAS) (or the equivalent office at your home institution). If you are a UNH student and have questions about the process, please email SAS or call (603) 862-2607 (non-UNH students e-mail the equivalent office at your home institution). If you are registered with SAS and eligible for accommodations that you would like to request on the UNH-in-Italy Program, please forward that information to Prof. Jesse Stabile Morrell in a timely manner so that you can meet with her privately in her office to review those accommodations.

Students with Dietary Preferences/Restrictions

If you have dietary preferences, please communicate them to the UNH-in-Italy Faculty Director before departure. While we cannot guarantee accommodation, all reasonable efforts will be made to honor such requests so long as they are provided well in advance of the program start date. Dietary restrictions related to medical conditions should be discussed with your physician and Prof. Morrell as soon as possible.

Procedures for Medical Problems and Emergencies while in Italy

For routine healthcare needs, the On-Site UNH-in-Italy Director can help you arrange a doctor's appointment. In case of a medical emergency contact the Director and Program Assistant immediately. They are available to accompany you to medical facilities whenever necessary.  If you have a medical problem or emergency, we urge you to please follow these guidelines:

  • Call the Director, Professor Muscelli immediately. He will help you organize your care.
  • If you require emergency assistance, you may call 118 (Guardia Medica) for an ambulance or you may take a taxi to the Emergency Room (Pronto Soccorso) at Ospedale Mazzoni, which is in the Monticelli quarter of Ascoli Piceno. If you pay cash at the emergency room, ask for a receipt (ricevuta) for your insurance company. You can call a taxi at 330.214500.
  • If your problem does not require emergency room attention, there is a general practitioner who has agreed to see UNH students. She can also refer you to specialists, if this is needed. Her phone number will be provided during the orientation week. Please note that while the Doctor does speak English, it is important for you to speak slowly and clearly. In the event that you purchase medicines, your insurance company will want a receipt for those as well.

Your international health insurance and travel assistance program includes access to the services of International SOS. One phone call connects you to the International SOS Network of multi-lingual staff trained to help resolve a range of health and safety issues, from offering telephone advice and referrals to full-scale medical evacuations by private air ambulance. International SOS works in partnership with your insurance provider and can pre-pay for most services on your behalf. While these services are comprehensive, remember that while in Ascoli Piceno, the UNH-in-Italy Program staff are your most effective means of support for health needs.


There are many pharmacies found throughout Ascoli.  Pharmacies take turns being open on Sundays and during the night. You can find out which ones are open in the Sunday newspaper or by telephoning 192. The information is also posted outside each pharmacy.  

As they do in the U.S., pharmacists provide medications with a doctor's prescription (e.g. antibiotics).  In addition, many medications we typically find "over-the-counter" in the U.S. must also be obtained through an Italian pharmacy.  Keep in mind that many medicines found in the U.S. do not carry the same brand name in Italy.  When possible students should should pack a sufficient quantity of prescription and over-the-counter medication for the program's duration.   Further  prescriptions should be labeled with the generic equivalent and the reason you are taking it so that the pharmacist can determine what you need should you run out. Do not count, though, on the same drugs being available in Italy. The best policy is to take what you need.