Preceptor name: Michela Lessard, M.S., R.D., L.D.N, Clinical Nutrition Manager
Address: 789 Central Avenue Dover, NH 03820
Site overview: Wentworth Douglass Hospital (fall only) is located in Dover, NH and is roughly a 20 minute drive from UNH. The site allows students to gain knowledge and experience in a clinical setting. At Wentworth Douglass Hospital, the student will be working under the supervision of various registered dietitians along with observing and working with diet technicians and the food service team. Students will engage in patient interaction via both outpatient and inpatient services.The student will interact and observe patients with varying degrees of medical conditions. This site further educates the student on writing nutritional assessments, reading and analyzing patient medical records and how to properly complete a nutrition focused physical exam. Students will also formulate patient projects such as nutritional handouts and poster boards.
What does a NUTR 600 Field Experience student do at this site?
- Visiting patients in an inpatient setting with various medical conditions under the supervision of an RD
- Reviewing and analyzing medical records under the supervision of an RD
- Sitting in on outpatient nutrition clinic appointments
- Collaborating with and observing diet technicians who engaged in nutrition focused physical exams
- Formulating educational patient handouts and poster boards
Tips from a previous NUTR 600 Field Experience Student:
- Professionalism is key!
- Time management is very important. It is important to always be on time or even better be a 5-10 minutes early.
- Have basic knowledge in clinical nutrition and be able to apply that knowledge to the site experiences.
- Be accepting of all critique in order to learn how to grow in the clinical profession
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions! The best way to learn is to ask from professionals who work in the field every day.
- Clinical Nutrition (NUTR 773) is a prerequisite course.