Preceptor name: Doris Demers, DTR, Child Nutrition Director
Address: 1 Coe Drive Durham, NH 03824
Site overview: This site serves to provide groups of 8-12 5th and 6th grade students with cooking education classes during school hours. Doris works with Oyster River Middle School personnel to coordinate classes that allow for many students to gain hands-on experience in the kitchen. NUTR 600 students work with Doris to find and/or create recipes using the current NH Harvest of the Month vegetable. Students use their knowledge of nutrition and food safety to provide instruction and supervision during meal preparation and help to guide students as they construct new recipes throughout the semester.
What does a NUTR 600 Field Experience student do at this site?
- Facilitate recipe construction utilizing NH Harvest of the Month produce
- Oversee proper food safety and sanitation practices of middle school students
- Instruct students on the proper way to read and follow recipes
- Educate students about the nutritional benefits of the NH Harvest of the Month foods
- Develop age-appropriate recipes for middle school-age kids that can be completed in a timely manner
Tips from a previous NUTR 600 Field Experience Student:
- Enjoy working with children
- Flexibility in scheduling/understanding of ever-changing school schedules/need to be available during middle school hours (8am-3pm)
- Have a basic knowledge of cooking skills
- Be willing to lead group discussions re: nutrition and oversee groups (~8-12) of 5th/6th graders
- Be willing/able to work on projects outside of the cooking classroom