Undergraduate Research


Through our campus farms and forest research facilities we offer ample opportunities for students to engage in undergraduate research. Where to start?  

First, look at the SAFS Faculty Page and our NH AES website to find out what research topics are being explored – what interests you?

Second, consider your options: 

  • Are you curious and simply want to explore what research is all about?  INCO 590 (variable credit), Student Research Experience, is a great place to start.
  • Would you like to be paid to conduct research over the summer?  A Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) may be for you.
  • Are you looking for 1 to 4 credits to conduct research during the academic year?  An Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program UROP project or an Independent Study course may be ideal for you.
  • Do you love to travel?  SURF-Abroad or an International Research Opportunities Program (IROP) grant is a way to get a research and cultural experience at the same time. 

Third, make an appointment to talk with one or more faculty conducting research projects that interest you.  A simple, “I’m curious about your work and I’m interested in getting research experience – can you tell me more?” is a great place to start.  Once you learn more about ongoing projects, the two of you can explore which projects might be right for you.