Preceptor name: Joshua Appleby, Food Service Director
Address: 25 Alumni Dr, Dover, NH 03820
Site overview: Fresh Picks cafe services is a business that serves food to many schools and businesses on the east coast. Within the school system, their mission is to provide adequate and nutritionally sufficient foods to the students and to help eliminate food insecurity. They follow the National School Lunch and Breakfast program so all students, even those that come from a low income family, are provided with a well-nourished meal. Students are encouraged to get a complete meal which constitutes the components of MyPlate: grain, protein, vegetable, fruit, and milk.
What does a NUTR 600 Field Experience student do at this site?
- Prepare food with the executive chef
- Serve and stock food during lunch periods
- Encourage students to get a complete meal
- Maintain cleanliness of kitchen
- Learn the different roles within the cafeteria during lunchtime
Tips from a previous NUTR 600 Field Experience Student:
- Be able to provide yourself transportation or carpool to the High School
- Educate yourself on the National School Lunch program
- Ask your preceptor questions that help you to get the most out of your experience
- Immerse yourself in each role to learn the various skills
- Keep an open mind because the work that is being done makes a difference