Preceptor name: Pam Stuppy, MS, RD, LD, CSSD
Address: 20 Main St, Exeter, NH 03833
Site overview: Philips Exeter Academy is a private boarding high school located in Exeter, NH. About 1,000 students are enrolled in grades 9-12 from all over the world. They have access to a full medical staff and health education. Pam is Philips Exeter Academy’s (PEA) Registered Dietitian on the health services staff. She provides nutritional counseling to students, consults with PEA dining, and works with the athletic teams. Additionally, she owns a private practice, with locations in York, ME and Portsmouth, NH and writes a weekly nutrition newspaper article.
What does a NUTR 600 Field Experience student do at this site?
- Shadow preceptor when she conducts team talks and staff trainings
- Analyze a controversial topic and creates a document based on the findings
- Write a book review on a book from the health education library
- Create handouts and bulletin boards on current topics in adolescent health
- Complete case studies based on real clients with varying disease states
Tips from a previous NUTR 600 Field Experience Student:
- Don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself; tell the preceptor what your interests are and what you want to do
- Pick your preceptor’s brain! She has been in this career for a long time and has considerable knowledge and insight about the field
- Set a specific time each week to work on your field experience since there is outside work involved
- Spend time in common spaces with the students to get a better sense of their daily lives at a private boarding school
- Talk to other staff members about their roles on campus to understand all the working parts of the school
- Will need a car