ANFS in the News
- Four students have been selected to go to Peru during J-term (January 2019), including our ANFS work study and Junior Nutrition & Wellness major, Taylor Zupo. It’s an agricultural exchange program between UNH and Universidad Nacional Toribio Rodriguez de Mendoza de Amazonas in Chachapoyas Peru. The course (SAFS 795 - Special Topics) will expose students to different cultures, vegetable and flower production systems using high tunnels, and increase Spanish communication skills. We will examine crop diversity and learn about traditional Andean agriculture. Visits to regional farms, markets, and agriculture research stations will provide a broad overview of agriculture’s role in Peruvian society in Northeastern Peru. The region’s rich ancient history will also be explored with visits to some important archaeological sites. The course runs from January 2nd – January 16th and consists of Senior Lecturer Andrew Ogden and four competitively selected students.
- 2018 Northeast Regional Dairy Challenge - From November 8th through November 10th , 119 college students converged on Lake Morey Resort in Fairlee, VT to participate in the UNH 2018 Northeast Regional Dairy Challenge hosted by Pete Erickson. In this event students participate in aggregate teams and visit three commercial dairy farms to provide a critical review of the business. Data collected included financial, health, nutrition and agronomic. Farms ranged in size from 120 to 1,450 lactating cows. Teams then presented their results in front of several judges and the farm owners. Each judge panel included: a dairy farmer, nutritionist, banker, and veterinarian. Universities represented were: Cornell, Delaware Valley University, Guelph, McGill, Penn State, SUNY Alfred, SUNY Cobleskill, SUNY Morrisville, UMAINE, UMASS, and UNH. Students from UNH that participated are: Devyn Blood (ANSC), Matt Boudreau (SAFS), Jon Decker (BMS), Emily Gibson (SAFS), Hannah Robertson (BMS), Jessie Sexton (ANSC), and Ashley Walalis (ANSC).
- Susan St. Martin, RD, a former UNH Dietetic Intern and UNH alum, is currently working at Inventive Labs in Amesbury, MA, as a "campus nutritionist". Sue works with young adults, many with ADHD, developing meal plans using the process of collective design and consensus to plan weekly menus with the guidance of an in-house registered dietitian-nutritionist.
- Finals Begin December 11, 2018
- Finals End December 18, 2018
- UNH Brewing Science Laboratory News: From the kiwiberry and strawberry fields at UNH, "Arguta Sour" is now on tap at Hop+Grind in Durham. Using the fruit from the New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station projects this sour beer needs to be tasted!
- UNH Opens Aquaponic Greenhouse Facility to Boost Sustainable Ag Research
Recent Featured Articles
UNH Veterinary Clinic Makes Pet Ownership Possible
Reveal News: Scientists warned this weed killer would destroy crops. EPA approved it anyway
No upcoming events