Recent Featured Articles
Funds to support research, teaching and outreach targeting soil microbes in thawing permafrostThe National Science Foundation (NSF) recently recognized Jessica Ernakovich, assistant professor of natural resources and the environment, with a prestigious $1.1 million CAREER award to continue her work building a research, teaching and outreach program focused on soil microbes in the Arctic’s permafrost. Ernakovich will study how the microbes behave as the permafrost thaws and how the rate of...
New study guides coastal management and climate change planningBill McDowell, professor of environmental science. In a new study of the ecological impacts of tropical cyclones, an international research team including researchers from UNH addresses a question that people have asked for centuries: When confronted by a storm, is it better to be resistant like an oak or resilient like a willow? The findings, published in the journal Science Advances, could help...
Researchers discover southern pine beetle in Maine, N.H.UNH researchers have discovered the southern pine beetle, one of the most damaging tree-dwelling insects in the Southeast, in forests in Maine and New Hampshire. The southern pine beetle has never been seen this far north and has forestry experts concerned, specifically about the unique pitch pine barrens found throughout New England. “Warmer winter temperatures make it easier for beetles to...
More to explore
- Innovation InspirationCOVID response, Nature Groupie honored as Innovators of the YearMay 17, 2022
- McDowell Earns Hollings ScholarshipSophomore becomes first UNH recipient since 2019May 16, 2022
- Tropical Rivers Act as Carbon Sinks Following Major Rainfall EventsLong-term water flow data can help improve climate change modeling accuracyMay 04, 2022
- Microbial Ecologist Honored with CAREER AwardFunds to support research, teaching and outreach targeting soil microbes in thawing permafrostApr 25, 2022
- Getting SMARTSix UNH students make up largest one-year cohort of DoD scholarship recipientsApr 18, 2022