Italy is one of the most popular destinations for American students studying abroad. Why choose UNH-in-Italy from all of the options available?
- UNH-in-Italy is located in central Italy, 30 minutes from the Adriatic coast. Our "campus" is the magical, unspoiled city of Ascoli Piceno.
- We describe Ascoli Piceno as the Goldilocks of locations - not too big and not too small. Not too chaotic with tourists but still bustling with activity. The provincial capital provides students a rare opportunity to experience an "undiscovered gem" of an Italian city.
- Ascoli Piceno features a gorgeous historic center, amazing food, and lively cultural traditions. Read more about this fascinating city in this 2022 article.
- Easy access to the mountains, the beach, and transportation routes to support personal travel to the rest of Italy and Europe
- UNH in Italy values the cost of higher education and works hard to offer students an affordable, yet fulfilling study abroad experience. As a result, our program is very affordable compared to other study abroad programs in Italy.
- Students pay UNH tuition and program fees that cover housing and all program-related excursions
- All regular financial aid and scholarships apply
- During a study abroad semester, most UNH student services fees are waived. As a result, spending a semester studying with UNH in Italy can be less expensive than a regular term in Durham
- Courses centered around culinary traditions, agriculture, and the larger food system
- No Italian language background needed
- Course offerings include multiple discovery requirements, as well as the ability to satisfy the foreign language requirement (in a semester) for students pursuing a BA degree
- All courses offered are UNH courses - no need to worry about the transferability of courses
- Our semester- and summer-long programs are approved to fulfill the International Experience requirement of the Dual Major in Ecogastronomy
- Interested in the Minor in Nutrition? Our courses with the "NUTR" prefix can be used to fulfill the requirements toward the Nutrition Minor
- Complete up to two courses toward the Culinary Nutrition and Food Studies Minor
- The UNH-in-Italy Program is a UNH-managed program. On a UNH-managed study abroad program:
- A UNH faculty member serves as program director on-site or on UNH campus, or both
- Students study abroad with other UNH students, as well as other US and international students, in many cases
- Courses are aligned with UNH curricula, making it easy to fulfill UNH Major, Minor, and Discovery requirements
- Students pay UNH tuition plus a program fee that typically covers room, board, and excursions
- Students are eligible to apply their federal financial aid and most scholarships toward the cost of the program
Because UNH administers the program, registration, finances, and other logistics are streamlined and simple
- Students have the opportunity to work with UNH faculty and staff before, during, and after their experience