Undergraduate Research

We encourage our nutrition students to get involved in research – and there are lots of opportunities just waiting for you! Where to start?

First, look at the Faculty page to find out what Nutrition faculty are exploring – anything grab you?

Second, explore UNH’s options:

  • Are you curious and simply want to “dip your toes in” and explore what research is all about? INCO 590 (variable credit), Student Research Experience, is a great place to start.
  • Would you consider getting paid to conduct research over the summer? A Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) may be for you.
  • Looking for 1 to 4 credits for conducting research during the academic year? An Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) project or NUTR 699 (Independent Study) may be ideal for you.
  • Do you love to travel? SURF-Abroad or an International Research Opportunities Program (IROP) grant is a way to get a research and cultural experience at the same time.

 Third, make an appointment to talk with one or more faculty whose research grabs your interest. A simple “I’m curious about your work, and I might want to try my hand at research – can you tell me more?” is a great place to start. Once you learn more about ongoing projects, the two of you can explore which of the options might be right for you.

On-going Research Projects

cereal chanas


Health of UNH College Students: The College Health and Nutrition Assessment Survey (CHANAS) started in 2004, and is an ongoing assessment of the health of over 4,000 young adults at UNH.  Our findings? We aren't as healthy as we might guess.

To learn more about the CHANAS project, click here.