Nutrition Minor

What is Nutrition?

Nutrition is the study of food, the nutrients found in food, and the body’s metabolism of these nutrients to maintain and promote health. Nutrition also focuses on how diseases, conditions and problems can be prevented or lessened with a healthy diet.

Why should I minor in Nutrition?

An academic minor – in any discipline – offers students the chance to explore a particular area of interest, complement a major, or provide an opportunity to develop skills.  The Nutrition minor is particularly suited to students interested in pursuing professional careers related to human health and wellness.

What are the requirements of the minor in Nutrition?

  • The minor in Nutrition consists of 20 credits (typically the equivalent of five courses).  These credits must include NUTR 400 (4 credits), as well as at least 4 credits at the 600- or 700-level. 
  • Students may tailor the minor in Nutrition to personal interests or professional aspirations.  In addition to NUTR 400 (required), students can select from the following courses: NUTR 405, 476, 504, 506, 525, 530, 535, 546, 550, 595, 610, 625, 650, 720, 730, 740, 750, 751, 755, 758, 765, 770, 773; HMGT 403.  As many courses have prerequisites and/or require special permission, students should visit the UNH Undergraduate Catalog for course details and descriptions.  The UNH Time & Room Schedule is another resource to consult for scheduling information related to course offerings.
  • Students must earn a C- or better in all courses and maintain a 2.00 grade-point average in courses taken for the minor.  Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis may not be used for a minor. No more than 8.0 credits used by the student to satisfy major requirements may be used to the minor.

How do I get started?

  • Students “declare” the Nutrition Minor by submitting the online Intent to Minor in Nutrition form. Submission of the Intent to Minor form is required to gain registration preference in certain courses.  This online form should be submitted as soon as students become interested in the minor, preferably prior to the start of their junior year. 
  • Students should complete Nutrition in Health & Well Being (NUTR 400) as early in their academic careers as possible. 

How do I complete the minor in Nutrition?

  • At the beginning of the student’s final semester at UNH, students must complete the Certification of Completion of Minor form.  This form requires approval of the Minor Supervisor in Nutrition, the student’s advisor, the student’s college dean, and lastly the Registrar’s Office.  The minor will appear on the student’s academic record upon completion of coursework and final approval.

More Information:

Please contact Gretchen Arnold, Minor Supervisor in Nutrition.
125 Kendall Hall
(603) 862-3083

Questions? Contact:

Gretchen Arnold, M.S., R.D., L.D.

Clinical Assistant Professor
Kendall Hall, Room 125
Durham, NH 03824